Monday, September 6, 2010

The Fair, Fish, and Handlebars

It is a little tradition in our family to get fried cheese at our annual county fair from a particular stall, since the quality is never bad. However we found that a steep entrance fee left us with four out of five dollars needed to buy the fried cheese. In search of a ATM that would accept a failing credit-card (We found none) we passed through the merchants and crafts buildings. Surprisingly the carving "An alien from Avatar carved in a stump of wood" seemed to wow the judges. I think the piece "Kitten wearing a hat carved into a log" was much cuter, but what do I know about etching images into a logs?


Today was also my first ride with the Hancock Handlebars! My first day was a Open ride, our destination... Houcktown!
While I have traveled to Houcktown many times before on bike, this time I learned of a route that gets less traffic.
For our approximate bike path, Click Here. I also went to the library and checked out random books on exciting subjects like the HISTORY OF THE TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION, and other unrelated, yet similarly exciting books.

Later in the day we went back to the fair (With money) and got our fried cheese.
This year it was just OK though, and probably not worth the negative heath effects. during our brief visit, I also tried a new Food, Sushi (Crab Meat and Avocado). Surprisingly, it was prepared fresh and in a fashion that took several minutes. The end result was not bad, and quite filling, with a spicy aftertaste. However It is not my favorite food, though the quality of any fair food compared to food that is more properly prepared is at best, dubious.

The sizable catfish that Dave caught.
After we left the fair we decided to visit Andy, Levi, The Thomases, and the Girls, who were fishing at the time. Just after we arrived we were told that Lindsay had just captured a huge catfish. As we spoke Dave was wearing down another large catfish, which eventually buckled and was worked ashore. Marisa Joe threw a large rock, which hit the barrel of my camera lens, thus "giving" the rock to me. Who says they don't make things like they used to?

No comments:

Post a Comment