Thursday, October 7, 2010

Hotdogs, Pumpkins, and Ubuntu too

What A Beautiful Day! The beauty of Fall with the air of Summer!
A interesting day too, Details within.

 Today we got a Halloween Pumpkin! When we carve it we will be sure to have Pictures!

We also visited Jim's Hot dogs, where we had some awesome tomato basil soup, and a Nacho themed Hot-Dog, which was also very good.

Today I got bummed into using our Mac-lab^.
(Not that I hate Apple, but the eMac's in the Mac lab are about a decade old and have CRT Monitors
I don't understand why they don't staff the next room over by default, which is where they have modern computers)
I heard rumors that the school will be replacing our Mac lab soon.
Personally I think it would be frugal, Environmentally Friendly, and just plain cool to use a Multi-Seat System for some^ of our schools computer labs
(Specifically the Writing lab, and the Mac Lab, I wouldn't want resource hog using students to wrestle over resources)
Our school would spend significantly less for the entire lab, paying for 5-10 good systems is a lot cheaper than paying for 30-35 basic systems. It's also a lot cheaper to pay for the electricity in a Multi-Seat System too, which saves even more money in the long run. Sadly the school will most likely end up buying a couple dozen basic dells that will start to kick the bucket after a few years. Oh well, that's only our tax money, it's not like we could use it for other things. 
 
I don't Know If it is appropriate to post this here, but I feel like some things need to be heard. In all reality my flowing paragraph is probably more Nitpicking than a useful article, or even a rant. However I believe it is important to not only express my opinion, but also make certain problems involving my community clearer, even if the are small or insignificant.
-Why I believe Corporations are doing immoral things involving our education-
 
I caught wind that the school has an agreement with certain companies to buy a certain number of software licenses each year and in return they get a juicy discount on the licenses. Computer classes should teach about using professional software, Few professional web designers would be proud to admit that they made a client a website entirely in a GUI and not have any idea on how to use things like JavaScript or Server side Scripting. It's not just Computers, The Library has advertisements for a certain fast food restaurant in the form of bookmarks, and a room near the entrance to the High School had a Flier for a certain Mega-Store in the window. How is this enriching our education?

No comments:

Post a Comment