Sunday, February 6, 2011

Celebrating the Chinese New Year

With two different Chinese families.
Yesterday I celebrated the Chinese New Year with my family and two different Chinese Families. My first celebration was a lunch with a Chinese family that owns the popular “Chicken Rice Shop” franchise. I ended up getting my first taste of the pungent Durian here (In the IMG_4065form of Durian Pancake). The taste isn't so bad, but it made my breath smell like sewer for a little bit. I got my first real ang pau here, which contained a generous sum. Although I don’t know exactly what I all ate (Besides a little of everything), It all tasted good. After we ate everyone talked about general life, watched American Idol, or just ate some more.
IMG_4110Later we had a BBQ at our house, but one of our neighbors the block over also had a mini-party which I am told is “Bad luck cleansing” . I was able to visit for a while and watch the “Lions” preform rituals, entertain/scare the neighborhood kids, hand out fruit, hold up cars, dance, ect… I ended up giving my ang pau from this family to one of the “Lions” who then shook my hand from his mouth. All being said it was pretty entertaining.
PS: Check out my updated earlier blog post here to see a video of me failing at karaoke!

1 comment:

  1. Before I saw the picture of the lion, I thought you were talking about a real one. Glad to hear that you're only feeding puppet lions.

    -Jamie

    ReplyDelete